Dust Cover for Virus TI
How I built some hand crafted cat protection


I figure the optimal amount of cat fur for proper synthesizer function is “not much”, so I made a synthesizer cozy, AKA dust cover, for the Virus since it sits out and makes a pretty popular cat napping spot. I’d built a similar one before for the MiniBrute (the little one with the dinosaur cover), and decided to try it again with some new lessons learned. I don’t know much about sewing, but it seems to have come out okay. And this time, I took some pictures to explain what I did.

I was visiting with some friends and talked them out of some fabric remnants from their baby wrap business, Smitten With Wovens, and brought it home to start plotting. I measured out the length and width of the synth with a flexible tape measure, wrapping down the sides to include enough fabric for the depth. I added an inch in each direction to have extra material so I could hem it, which gives a nice finished edge, but is also necessary to keep the woven fabric from unravelling. Using those measurements, I cut the fabric in a simple rectangle according to the measurement. Then, I started by hemming all 4 edges by folding them over half inch using a zig-zag stich over the raw edge. The internet tells me this is called a single-fold hem, and it seems to have worked out okay. I stopped a bit before the corners to make it easier to sew those later. Audrey supervised.

Sewing the Hem, with supervision

Sewing the Hem, with supervision

So, with the edges finished it was time to do the corners. So, here’s where I screwed up a bit thinking that I should relieve the corners by cutting a diagonal line in them. I realized later I didn’t need to do that, and lead to me screwing up one of the corners and having to patch it and start over, which you can see in the picture. Anyway, with the fabric upside down so I was working on what would later be the inside, I matched up the two hemmed edges, and found where I needed to put the corner to get 2 inches of height (that’s sqrt(8) inches from the corner if you’re into math). I then stitched it perpendicular to the hemmed edges. When you turn it right-side out, you end up with a nice finished corner. Once sewed (and tested) it’s safe to trim the extra material. I say tested, becuase I would have found my earlier mistake before trimming away the material and it would have saved me from patching it and starting over. You should be able to do all 4 corners and test fit it before you cut away any of the extra.

Setting up the Corner

Setting up the Corner

That’s all there was to it. Fits okayIf I were making another, I’d not cut that diagonal notch in the corner and be a little bit more careful with my sewing and trimming, but other than that mistake it came out pretty well. Here’s the finished product:

Finished Product

Finished Product

July 30, 2017
510 words


Categories
Tags
synthesizers cats sewing